Everyone was hating on this show. I’m not sure why.
Natsu no Arashi!
What was so bad about this show? Before you answer what is certainly a mind boggling question, let me first point out some of the good points that this show brings up:
- Time Travel. Time Travel is awesome, and it’s even better when a show incorporates time travel into the plot correctly (time travel can not alter history). Natsu no Arashi fits all of these qualifications.
- Good animation. I’ll admit that at first I was a little bit put off by the character designs, but after two episodes, my opinions went from “needs work” to “awesome.” I really liked the character designs, and overall artistic feel that you typically get when watching any show with the pairing of
- SHAFT and
- Akiyuki Shinbo.
Let me take a time out to point out that the OP was one of the best of the season, as well were the ED’s:
The OP is just fantastic.
This ED was good.
This ED was the best, but I only saw it in one episode (11).
This ED was also in only one episode, and was also good, albeit a little weird (6).
- The comedy was pretty good, and I thought that the show did a good job at mixing it in with more serious plot developments. At no point did the show really get too serious, just as it never really got too ridiculous.
- I already talked about he character designs, but what about the characters themselves? I liked them. We have the cross dressing girl, the nerdy guy, the slutty con-artist, the tough guy detective, the normal piano playing girl and her lesbian (imo) friend, and then there’s Arashi and Kaya. Also, who can forget the Salt Guy, who still never got his salt.
- Umm….did someone say “loincloth?”
I loved the last episode. Everyone’s clothes randomly changed with a scene, but none of them noticed. In one scene, Arashi is wearing some sort of armor, but…..well…..here just look:
There was a lot of poses during this episode meant for fanservice (maybe?) but not bad fanservice, tasteful fanservice. In fact, I wouldn’t even call it fanservice. Flashing a belly button? Not fanservice. But I thought it was funny. They kind of did it the whole series. That’s just Shinbo doing his thing.
Okay, now you can tell me what was wrong with this show. I honestly liked it a lot, and can’t wait for the next season! Here’s the final grade, because I don’t have much else to say. I didn’t give it a 5^^, because, despite being a good show, it’s not a super, overwhelmingly awesome show. I mean, it’s only 13 episodes long. As usual, feel free to chime in with objections, agreements, etc.
FINAL GRADE = 5*
I think that the next season is due to premier this fall. If so, that’s awesome news.