What a shitty, overly hyped up anime. I always heard people ranting and raving about how good it was, and so I read up on it’s plot. Here’s what I got:
Basically, it’s about a girl, Tohru, who is living somewhere out in the woods because she’s broke and has no home. Something happens and she eventually moves in to the Sohma household, where Yuki Sohma, a classmate and person whom all girls love, lives with his cousin Shigure. However, there is one thing strange about these people….their family, the Sohmas, have had a curse put on them for centuries. When ever one of them is embraced by a non-family member, they turn into an animal of the Chinese Zodiac. For example, Yuki turns into a mouse. Anyway, new characters are introduced as the series goes one, including one Kyo Sohma, who is, in my opinion, the only interesting character in the show. He turns into a cat, and in the story of the Chinese Zodiac the cat was apparently left out of a party because the mouse tricked him and told him the party was on a different day, thusly, he was never accepted as an animal of the Chinese Zodiac, therefore, Kyo, who turns into a cat, always wants to fight Yuki, aka, the mouse, to get revenge. Get it? People changing into animals at odd times seems like it can make a pretty cool anime if you ask me, Then I struggled through the anime and fought to finish it. Let’s explain farther in a new way…by looking at the main characters.
She is a ditz. She does nothing right. She cries. She sucks.
He’s boring. He is really really boring. There is nothing special about him (except that he can change into a mouse).
Probably the only interesting character in the show. He’s always pissed off and bring what little excitement there was into the show. My theory is that he isn’t really pissed at Yuki, he’s pissed because he’s in such a shitty show.
- Some humor
- Most of the characters were actually cool.
- Two of the three main characters, Yuki and Tohru, got most of the screen time, which took away from the cooler characters.
- The animation was boring looking, which matched the show perfectly.
- The story, despite having some interesting characters, was as stimulating as sneaking into a women’s locker room to watch old ladies shower (if that’s stimulating to you then you might like this show).
- It sucked.
- It was boring and shitty and filled with crying and repetition and a slow plot advancement.
This show almost got dropped, but it was saved by the interesting characters making small appearances, therefore, it gets a
FINAL GRADE = 3