Well, I finally got around to it. This has been a long time coming, I hope youtube doesn’t take down any of the videos that I put up. As I am writing this, I am listening to the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP, which is on the list, but where (mystery….suspense).
First I’d like to point out that an OP is more than just the song, it’s the visual effects, animation, premise….blah…..blah……….blahhhhhh.
10. Maria + Holic – Hanaji by Yu Kobayashi
Although this is a new show, I loved the OP as soon as it came out (and the show too). There’s a lot of OP by the same production studio, Shaft, that are awesome. They always have a good way of mixing music and artistic, smart, cool animation. Frankly, I like the ED better. (I don’t have enough endings to make a top ten….only 2…..this is number 2 on that list)
EDIT: They took the previous video down, skip 14 seconds in that’s where the OP starts. Why take down an OP for copyright reasons? It’s not like it reveals anything. Gay.
9. Bleach – Rolling Star by Yui
Coincidentally, this song reminded me of a song I can use for my top ten endings list (take a wild wild guess). As for Rolling Star by Yui, the song is very good. I like to hear it. However, the animation sequence is nothing special, so it’s stuck at the bottom of this countdown.
8. Ergo Proxy -Kiri by MONORAL
I loved this show. I thought it kicked ass. I mean, look at the OP. I love the grittiness and choppiness it has. It matches the song perfectly, and does a good job of reflecting the anime, which is kind of dark. One of the best OP Eye have seen.
7. To LOVE-Ru – Forever We Can Make It -Thyme
Why did I like this OP so much? Well first of all the song is awesome. I really liked the song. Secondly, I thought it was a cool idea to have the credits written on an article of clothing, or a tag hanging from a bag, and it zooms in to show that. Most shows have the credits scrolling, which is boring. Also, the drawing is sketchy kind of, yet detailed, and that’s cool. (that was the shittiest explanation of the art work you could have). I also watched the video to the actual song…the girl who sings this is hot….she doesn’t really look asian though.
6. Lucky Star – Motteke! Sailor Fuku! by 4 Main Voice Actors of Show
Yes. BOOYAH! This OP is awesome! You can make fun of me all you want for liking this song, but the song, coupled with the cool scenes throughout this opening slots this in at number 6. I wanted to put it higher, but there’s so many good openings. I think Lucky Star was one of the few shows where I actually watched the OP every time without fail.
5. Pani Poni Dash! – Yellow Vacation, Roulette Roulette, by The Voice Actors of the Show
Yes I know these are two different openings, but If I treated two openings to two slots in this top ten, I’d have two shows taking up a majority of slots. Therefore, since I liked both of these openings close to the same, I let them share a spot. Of the two, Roulette Roulette is my favorite one. This show is another one by Shaft, and as usual their OPs are artistic and different, and the songs are awesome too. I wanna re-watch this show. It reminds me of summer (both because of the music and the fact that I watched this during summer a while ago).
4. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei – All Twisted Up Inside, Daytime Rumba by Kenji Ohtsuki and Voice Actors From the Show
All Twisted Up Inside
Shaft is back at work making more awesome openings. As usual, these are artistic different. All I can say is that the songs are awesome, the animation is awesome, and the show is awesome (barely missed my top ten).
3. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni – Higurashi no Naku Koro ni by Eiko Shimamiya
Not only does this opening match the anime with precision, but it’s really just a fuckin awesome song. I actually played this in my spare time more than any other anime OP (except Lucky Star). The animation is awesome, flowers, then blood. Awesome.
2. Cowboy Bebop – Tank! by The Seatbelts
Finally, an OP that isn’t J-Pop, or J-Rock or something like that. It’s jazzzzzzz. And the animation shows that. The lines, the colors, the shadows. I actually watched this OP every time I watched Bebop. In a way, the opening reminded me of Spike, because both were……well….I guess you could call them smooth.
Samurai Champloo – Battlcry by The Kid
I watched this show around the same time a Pani Poni Dash! So it reminds me of summer. This anime didn’t only have a sick intro, but its soundtrack was riddled with hip hop. Let’s take a second and see why this anime will never be taken down from my top ten (most likely). Three things I love most in this world are hip hop, anime, and feudal Japan. This anime has all those things. It’s like they studied me, and made an anime for me. Fuck, there’s even an episode about baseball (one of the funniest/best anime episodes ever made). They make fun of Commodore Perry so bad it’s awesome. I don’t need to explain this OP though, it speaks for itself.
What do you think? Anything I miss? Anything you think is better? Anyone read this? Be merry, you just read something that Eye wrote.
EDIT: I guess I thow in some honorable mentions:
(The ones in BOLD were ones that should/could have been in the top ten)
- Naruto – Fighting Dreamers OP
- Inuyasha – Grip! OP
- xxxHOLiC – Whatever the name of the song is OP
- Elfen Lied – Liliad? OP (I don’t remember the name of the song, and since this is just honorable mentions thrown in I don’t feel like looking the names up. I thought this was a pretty good OP, and one cannot say it was not well made. Probably perfect for the show, and really cool animation. Is it bold though? hmmm).
- Mahou Sensei Negima! – Happy Material (Electric and Regular Versions) OP
- Love Hina/Love Hina Again – OPs
- Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (I keep bringing this show up…time to do a review on it I guess)
- Excel Saga – OP
- Ah! My Goddess – OP Bagpipes suck
- Negima!? – OP (another Bang-shaft….get what I’m trying to say?)
- Kemeko Deluxe! – OP
- Shaman King – OP
- Gintama – 1st OP (just picked this show up finished downloading the first 90 episodes torrent style. Liked the OP)
There that’s all the OP’s I like really. I think there was one from Ranma 1/2 that I liked, but I can’t remember which one (there’s a bunch) so whatever.