In the beginning, God created the earth. Then, he created Anime. To Aru Majutsu no Index can be included in the definition of good anime. For this reason, I am happy to proclaim To Aru Majutsu no Index as my 100th anime watched. Congratulations to me. (I don’t think there’s any spoilers, if they are, tell me and I’ll fix it)
To Aru Majutsu no Index
So then, let’s get into this anime.
Premise: Basically, this anime revolves around Touma, a normal kid in high school. Of course, I should mention that his school is actually a city, called School City or F3, which is filled with Espers, that is to say, people that can use supernatural powers. A good example is Misaka, who can create electrical currents. She is a level 5 esper (that means really strong), while Touma is a level……..0 (that means he’s weak….whoever rates these kids really got that rating wrong). There’s some background knowledge and terminology for you, but this show still has a lot more.
In this show, Touma returns home to find a girl dressed in white hanging from his balcony railing (how she got there is anyone’s guess). She later reveals herself to be a nun of The Church of England, more specifically, Necessarius. She is special because in her memory is implanted 103,000 texts of magic. This apparently takes up 85% or so of her mind, so she has to have her memories erased after a year, or so claims the church. Touma has a power called Image Breaker, which can negate any form of magic/esper powers. Basically, in a nutshell, this show is a show that contains magic and espers (magic vs science, although I don’t know how having super powers is considered science). With a base plot of this, you can guess that the show is going to kick ass.
- The characters were great. Very nice indeed. Unique powers of course give characters unique aspects, and this show is a fine one in this aspect.
- J.C. Staff does it again.
- Eclipse Subs do it again.
- Shakugan no Shana reference in the Index-tan Special.
What I didn’t like (some spoilers about ending):
- The explanations sometimes were more confusing then they needed to be, but I still got everything.
- I felt there wasn’t enough focus on the upside-down dude in the tube (Crowly). They touched base on him every once in a while, but not enough. A few characters also kind of faded out of the show, even Index. For having your name in the title, she doesn’t get a lot of screen time.
- They brought up vampires and never talked about them again.
- Lots of questions left over.
There are a lot of good ones to choose from. The top two are obvious though. The third best character is going to have to be:
3. Motoharu Tsuchimikado
2. Touma Kamijo
Let me explain Accelerator: He is nasty. A level 6. He has the power to repel anything….if he wants to. He could repel gravity and fly if he wanted to. Awesome.
I could keep going on about this anime, so I will. Well, not really. I’ll end this by saying I can’t wait for the spin-off series, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun. Here’s what I know so far (or think I know) about the spin-off:
- It centers around Misaka and her lesbian roommate.
- Touma (if in it) will rule.
- It won’t suck.
Still I want them to make another season of this, which they should eventually do, because there are a lot of unanswered questions. So, unless the spin-off is actually just a second series, they better make a To Aru Majutsu no Index II, because the first season, this one, got a
FINAL GRADE: 5^^
And talk about a circle, the series ended the same way it started: