I will review them all. This one will be slice of life….all I have to say about slice of life anime is:
Why? What? Of all the different genres of anime that are out there, I always say that slice of life is the shittiest type. It’s not exciting. There’s never really a true plot. I mean, basically, anime from the slice of life genre are just…..BORING. So why? WHY DO I KEEP WATCHING THEM????
Let’s name off a list of anime from the genre that I’ve complete or are currently watching. Let’s do this with bullets (like a gun has). Let’s include my ratings too:
- Lucky Star – 5^^ (wtf? Seriously?)
- Azumanga Daioh – 5 (This was actually decent)
- Candy Boy – watching (does this really count? Yes, because eye sedso. It’s ok.)
- High School Girls – 4 (I remember nothing at all about this show. I can’t remember characters. I’m not even sure if it’s slice of life)
- Hyakko – 5* (…)
- Kyou no Go no Ni – 4 (the OVA was better)
- Pani Poni Dash – 5^^ (yea it’s not technically slice of life but this show rules, so fuck you)
- Potemayo – 4 (I included this too…..it was so-so…kinda dumb but had it’s funny parts)
- Tsuyokiss – 5 (I had almost forgotten this show. It was good)
- Welcome to the N.H.K. – 5^^ (wikipedia says it is, so, yea awesome fucking show)
- Magipoka – 5 (same basic plot of slice of life, despite involving a vampire, a robot, a magical girl and a werewolf)
- Minami-ke – watching (it’s ok)
- K-ON! – watching (thumbs up)
Basically, this sums up probably all the slice of life anime I’ve watched (some may be wrong, and I may have forgotten some, but it’s close enough). My average rating for a slice of life anime is:
5* !!?? <this is probably lower since I removed N.H.K., but I’m not taking the time to figure it out.
Seriously? Why? I knock them all the time. Maybe not on my ISSS, but in real life, I always say they suck. I guess I don’t know myself enough. So way are slice of life anime apparently good? Let’s do it with bullets again:
- The characters
Wait time out. The characters? Let me sum up every slice of life anime:
Step One: Take 4 girls, who fall in the ages where puberty is happening (so jokes can be made about breast size).
Step Two: Make one eccentric (the main character usually), make one shy, make one smart, make one bitchy one.
Step Three: Have them go through the following scenarios: Eating, breast size, fan service episode at the beach/in the gym pool, gym episode where they play volleyball, other random stupidness.
Wow I just gave you the plot for pretty much every slice of life anime ever made, except Candy Boy, which has two lesbian sisters, and their horny lesbian friend. Congrats to me.
- The plot
Is always the same?
- The comedy
The comedy can be good. Azumanga Daioh had some good comedy. So did Pani Poni Dash!. Welcome to the N.H.K. had one great awesome moment, and was all around not a real slice of life anime in my opinion. It’s more like a drama. But wikipedia said it was slice of life, so it must be true.
Already did that. In fact, there is nothing else in a slice of life anime except characters and a plot-less plot. Yet somehow we anime bloggers (in my case, ISSSer) still watch them. At least I do. And we’ll never know why (at least I won’t). Until I find this reason:
EDIT: Welcome to the N.H.K. is off the list. It doesn’t fit my definition of slice of life, which you could find in the comments.