In this I will be reviewing all of the Tenchi Muyo anime that I’ve just completed, which is, to my knowledge, all of the Tenchi Muyo anime that are out there…..that I care about. I’m not watching that Pretty Sammy spin off, nor do I want to watch a few of the others. For example, Tenchi GXP looks like a cluster fuck of stupid shit, so I’m not watching that garbage.) Pretty much, I’m gonna review Tenchi Universe, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki!, and Tenchi in Tokyo. I will be talking a lot about Ryoko because she’s arguably my favorite character of all time. Be prepared. I was GOING to review them all in one post, but no one wants to read something so long, so I’ll split them up, and start with Tenchi Universe.
EDIT: I might actually watch all of the Tenchi stuff after all, even GXP, because Shinichi Watanabe aka Nabeshin (Excel Saga) is the director, and he’s awesome as fuck. can we get a picture of this asshole?
Before I dive into these reviews, some note about the franchise of Tenchi:
- There are so many series and spin offs and OVAs and shit, that this was by far the most confusing franchise to watch. I debated for literally years as to what series to start with, and which to watch next. Fuck the people who made this shit. Finally, I actually looked into it, and decided the correct order to watch these shows.
- This was a show from my past (Toonami) that I never paid attention to until now. The only thing I remembered from this show was that Ryoko was awesome.
- Ryoko was the first anime character that I ever drew.
- I really like Ryoko.
- I have a boner.
- Okay, I don’t really have a boner, but I bet I made you laugh!
- I didn’t? I’m not funny you say? Fuck you asshole.
- You can kind of see now the direction I’m taking with this review.
Well, I’m finally done with Tenchi Universe, and personally, I’m very happy at the ending, because if they killed off Ryoko I would have thrown a fit. It’s true that I only just finished it, and I only started it a month or two ago, but Ryoko has been one of my favorite characters ever since wayyyy back in the day, when Tenchi was on Cartoon Network (when it was new). Oh course since that time I had forgotten all of the episodes, but I still remembered Ryoko, and how awesome she was. However, she was about the only good character in this series.
Premise: Bunch of people from space invade some average kid’s life and fuck shit up. One of them is Ryoko, which is the only incentive one should need to watch this show.
First let me talk about all the bad things:
- The characters were all very flat, one-dimensional, and shallow, with the exception of Ryoko.
- The show is called Tenchi Universe, but Tenchi himself didn’t really play any part in the show until the end. He was kind of just there, making him one of the gayest lead characters ever. If you ask me, Ryoko was more of the lead character, and I’m not just saying that because I have a literal boner for her. She had the most depth, when compared to someone such as Ayeka, who sucks so hard that I just want to kill her.
- They shouldn’t have “fake-killed*” Ryoko, because it made me lose all interest in the rest of the series until they shows that Ryoko was alive at the end, which was great.
- Tenchi just sucked. He lacked personality, expression, an interest factor, a soul.
- Mihoshi was a character in this show, and she didn’t get killed off.
- The animation in general seemed kind of cheap, although that’s probably just because it’s older.
- Mihoshi fuck she was stupid. Oh, I already said that? Fuck it, she sucked THAT BAD.
Now, all the good things:
- The plot was actually not that bad. I loved the twist with Tenchi’s grandfather turning out to be Yosho.
- Ryoko and Washu were two characters I liked…..although I thought that Washu created Ryoko or something like that? The never talked about that stuff. (EDIT: Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki covers this).
- I actually liked the dubs for this series, which is why I watched a lot of the episodes in both dub and sub.
FINAL GRADE = 4
So there will be more Tenchi reviews coming over the next week or two, there’s a bunch of them….I only just started Tenchi in Tokyo, and haven’t seen any of the movies yet, so I’m about to thrash those into the ground.
Also, I still have to watch Apocalypse Zero Episode Two, but I will, and the review will probably be out sooner or later.