So what was so bad about this season that had everyone up in a huff? I mean besides the stupid title? I recently finished said series, and even though I cursed it into the ground at first, I came around and ended up thinking that it was a pretty solid show.
Hayate no Gotoku: Can’t Take My Eyes Off You
Let me first say that I think SynergySP/J.C. Staff did a WAYYY better job with Hayate no Gotoku than fucking Manglobe. Even the name “Manglobe” sounds stupid when compared with SynergySP and J.C. Staff. But to show you how my thoughts sort of shifted as the series progressed, I’m going to compare my initial thoughts about the show before I watched it and my thoughts at the end, because I’m always looking for new ways to write reviews.
Manglobe? MANGLOBE!? WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!?!?!?!
J.C. Staff did such a good job last time with Hayate no Gotoku… Why is it suddenly Manglobe, the gayest name ever, in charge of this series? I mean, HAVE YOU SEEN THESE CHARACTER DESIGNS!?!?!?! WHAT IS THIS BULLLSHIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!?!?!?!?! THEY ARE GOING TO FUCK ALLL OF THIS UP!
And it doesn’t even have anything to do with the manga at all. That is STUPID. The first seasons worked, because they were awesome and zany, but this is going to just be a retarded piece of shit. Fuck and ass.
You know? It wasn’t that bad really.
Thoughts I Had About the Series as a Whole:
- The art/character designs pissed me off…at first. I mean, I really really REALLY hated them. But I guessed that I’d get used to them, and I was right. After a few episodes, I was already used to the new character designs, and wasn’t really bothered by them much. I tried to hate the animation, but it seems as though my brain only noticed all of the good things that the animation did, so I had zero gripes in the animation department.
- This series is completely different from the other two series. The other two series are both 5^^ series for me. The reason is because of the random humor that each one exhibits. Take for example, the randomness of Jenny. Or the 4th wall breakage that is always so refreshing to see in a given episode. Most of this was missing from Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You. For example, there wasn’t much”Ah, what was that?’
“Oh I bet the director just messed up.”
- That being said, CTMEOY (because saying the whole title is a mouthful) is not without humor, but it’s much more focused on a single story, and there’s a lot more drama involved (like with the whole Nagi’s parents shit). Is there still strange crossdressing for no reason? Sure, but the randomness was not at the same level. To summarize: Randomnes was down, successful drama was up. So it all balances out sort of, but this was a totally different feel as far as Hayate goes, so much so that I didn’t even feel like I was watching Hayate at some points.
- Get the fuck out of Las Vegas. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
All in all, CTMEOY wasn’t a bad series. Was it up to par with other Hayate series? No, but it was still a solidly good series that I enjoyed. So I’d give it a
FINAL GRADE = 5
(See Grading System Here)
Currently, I have been reading Hayate no Gotoku the manga (I’ve really been going all out with Hayater lately), and I’m convinced that this manga reads my mind.
Every day that I read it, I would think the same things:
- What chapter am I on?
- How many chapters till I reach 100?
Just now, at 7:24 P.M. on January 3, 2013, I was on the last page of chapter 99. I thought, “Here we go!” and I clicked, and the first page of chapter 100 was:
HOW DID THEY KNOW I HAD BEEN WAITING!? This page was made just for me!
Can you really imagine anyone besides Rie Kugimiya as Nagi? I can’t. I love reading the manga after hearing the anime and being able to read the characters in their anime voices.
Maria is the best.